Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Welcome to the Dad, Daughters, and Science Blog!

Welcome to the Dad, Daughters, and Science blog!  So who am I and what is this blog about?  I'm the father of two amazing daughters who are 5 and 1 (almost 2).  I earned my doctorate in astrophysics 6 years ago and teach physics and astronomy at a Midwest University.  Needless to say, I have a strong background in science.    I would love for my daughters to have a science based career, but I have no clue where their interests will lie 20 - 25 years from now.  Regardless of their future careers it's important to me that they have a strong appreciation for science and have a good understanding of how science works in their lives.  That's where, I, the Cool Science Dad, come in.

The purpose of this blog is to share my science experiences, as related to teaching my daughters, to others.  As parents we all have our weak points and our strong points.  Given my background as a science teacher, I believe that I have the opportunity to greatly shape my daughters' science experience in a positive way.  In addition to personal science experiences with my daughters, I'll share interesting websites that contain cool science experiments for kids, especially daughters.  Along the way there are several science misconceptions that I'll clear up in future posts.

So why daughters?  For starters I have two daughters but no sons.  With no plans of having more children in the future, my family teaching experiences will always focus on my daughters.  Also, despite an increasing number of girls involved in science, boys/men still outnumber girls/women in most fields of science.  I want to make sure that I provide my daughters with the same science opportunities that I was provided as a child.  Science is not sexist!


No comments:

Post a Comment