Monday, July 30, 2018

The Giver by Lois Lowry

This summer my 11 year old read The Giver by Lois Lowry for the first time. This was a book I read back in high school, but that was 20+ years ago! When she finished reading it I read it.


It's a book that gets you thinking which is great for those critical thinking skills. At first glance it is hard to imagine our society reaching the point of the society in the book, but then I look at all the things that have happened over the last few years and it's not all that far fetched to think the Giver could become reality. I won't give anything away, but there are awful things this society does that no one, except for two people, bat an eye at. 

My daughter thought it was a good book that "talked about things that don't happen today, but could happen." That was without me prompting her so it definitely got her thinking. 

The Giver is also the first in a series of four books. Having read this in high school, I had no idea until this summer this was a multi-book series, so we've added those books to our summer (or fall since summer is almost over) reading list!

I encourage reading all books that promote critical thinking, so definitely suggest The Giver to your child if they are looking for something to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment