Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Black Lives in Astronomy - Resource Guide

Yes, it is true that I no longer teach in the classroom now that I am a full-time administrator at my school. I have fully embraced the dark side. LOL! But I still love finding resources to help in the classroom and over the summer I came across a resource guide to Black Lives in Astronomy, by astronomer Andrew Fraknoi.

Black Lives in Astronomy - Resource Guide

This is a great pdf that links to many sources on black astronomers. I spent time the last few years highlighting non-white astronomers and astronauts. I wish had had this resource guide then! Astronomy is a field that is very, very white and has a huge diversity problem. Yes, an astronomy class should focus on stars, planets, galaxies, etc., but it is also important to take time talking about diversity, or lack thereof, in an astronomy classroom. This resource guide is a great source for any teacher looking for teaching ideas on diversity to implement in their classroom. 

Astronomy is not just about the content, but about the people adding new information to the field everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment