Monday, November 5, 2018

Skipping Rocks

If you have some time to kill and you and your kids are bored, a great activity is to take them to a park with a river and spend some time skipping rocks. There's quite a bit of science to it as the key is picking out a flat, smooth rock that can skip. In addition, you have to throw at an angle as parallel as possible to the water surface. If you throw directly at the surface, the rock breaks the water surface tension and plummets to the river bed. Easier said than done. Here's a wiki guide on how to skip rocks.

How to Skip Rocks

Back in October when the temperature was still hitting 80+ degrees in our neck of the woods, I took my youngest out to a nearby river and we spent an hour or so skipping rocks. Here she is in action.

Check out that rock skipping form!
I may be bragging here, but I was on fire skipping rocks! I swear I had some 10-12 skippers. They were probably 5-6 skips, but they sure looked like 10-12 skips in my excitement! LOL! We are heading into winter now, so you may find it too cool to spend much time outside, but when there is a nice warm day, get out there and skip some rocks. Finding that perfect rock is half the battle, but once you do find it, the pressure is on not to waste it on a bad throw!

No comments:

Post a Comment