Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Sunscreen Dilema

Anyone with young kids knows that sunscreen + kids = big battle.  Sunscreens have advanced greatly in the last 10 - 15 years.  When I was a kid in the 1980s there was nothing written on the bottle about UVA and UVB spectra.  In fact, most sunscreens did nothing to block the more harmful, skin cancer causing UV rays.  They blocked the less energetic UV rays that cause a sunburn but the deeper skin tissue was still exposed.  In addition, there are now spray-on sunscreens that are much easier to apply and save time.

I've explained to my oldest daughter the importance of always wearing sunscreen.  I have the type of skin that has a burn time of about 20 minutes at best.  If I know I'm going to be outside for more than 20 minutes, the sunscreen goes on.  My daughter inherited this same skin type.  My daughter sees this and understands why, so she knows she has to have sunscreen on, but it can still be a battle.  The biggest battle is the face.  She doesn't want the sunscreen sprayed on her face, but her head bobbles around when my wife and I try to rub it on her face.  Then there's the whole "don't get it in my eyes" issue followed by "but you need to put it on your nose!  Sit still!"  :-)  All parents have been there.  My younger daughter isn't as bad.  She sees big sister getting sunscreen on so she definitely wants it on too.  

I'm very glad my daughters have followed our lead and know that sunscreen is important.  Unfortunately today's sunscreens, despite their advancements, are still cumbersome, time consuming, and down right annoying to apply.  In addition many of them leave an icky or greasy feeling on your skin, especially the face.  Even sunscreens labeled "non-greasy" are never non-greasy.  Thus far my favorite sunscreen is Banana Boat's Ultra Defense SPF 85 with Aloe Vera.  It's not perfect.  It still leaves a somewhat greasy feel on my skin, but it's better than some of the other competitors.  


I've also tried Coppertone's Sport Continuous Spray SPF 70+, but I still prefer Banana Boat.  There are many other sunscreens, some of which are more expensive.  I'm tempted to try a few others but always balk at paying a higher price for something that I may not like.  Suggestions are appreciated.

If someone out there invents a truly non-greasy sunscreen spray that kids don't balk at and doesn't sting the eyes, you'll have me as a customer, regardless of the price.  

No comments:

Post a Comment