Friday, October 26, 2012

Ask Magazine

My 5 year old's first issue of Ask magazine arrived in the mail this past week.  She was super excited to dig into and between myself and my wife, we read her over half the magazine the first night.  This first issue is excellent, in my opinion, and I hope that future issues are just as good.

The October issue is all about bones.  There are several excellent articles for kids on how bones grow, how they mend, and what they look like. The first small article in the magazine, however, doesn't deal with bones.  It deals with astronauts and the taste of food.

I remember reading about this some time ago, but this article was a good reminder about how being in space, in a low gravity environment, has an effect on the human body.  This magazine also has an article about how human bones weaken in a low gravity environment and are more susceptible to breaking.  It's one of the big problems with future long distance space travel.  

The first astronaut article in this magazine is about taste.  Being in a low gravity environment can cause nose stuffiness, which blocks the sense of smell.  Thus foods will taste more bland.  The same thing happens on Earth.  Think about this the next time you have stuffed nose.  Does food taste as good without being able to smell it?  Most likely not.  

My daughter, my wife, and I have all learned at least one new thing in the first half of this magazine.  I'm happy with our choice of a magazine for our 5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment