Monday, October 29, 2012

Voting

This week my wife and I voted early.  I figured that we might as well get it done now while we know we have time as opposed to being forced to make time on election day.  We had our 5 year old with us which is actually pretty normal for the two of us.  In previous elections (primary, midterm, etc.) I've taken my daughters with me and usually my wife takes them with her too when she votes.

I think it's very important to take your kids with you, if possible, to the voting polls to give them an idea of what voting is and how it works.  Granted, discussing actual politics with a 5 year old is a waste of time, but simply showing them how to vote introduces them to it.  And seeing Mommy and Daddy voting at every election shows them that it's something important.  

One problem with the younger generation of voters (those in that 18 - 22 age group) is that they take their right to vote for granted and often times don't vote.  It's a shame knowing that people fought hard for the right to vote for younger people and then seeing them not vote.  I want my daughters to know that their vote is important and it counts.  I want them to know that their vote means something.  Who they vote for potentially plays a role in our country's education system and the funding that goes to science.  I can't tell them who to vote for.  I'd like to think they would share the same political beliefs as I do, but even if they don't, the important thing is that they truly understand the importance of voting and voting as an informed citizen.  

Although I have no evidence to back this up, it's my opinion that taking them to the polls at a younger age will make it more likely that they vote when they are of eligible age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment