Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Fun

Halloween season is upon us and kids everywhere are getting their costumes ready and carving pumpkins.  My kids have had their costumes ready for a few weeks and this past weekend we carved pumpkins.  Carving pumpkins is an opportunity to teach your kids about pumpkins and about carving safety.  But before any of that, you need to teach your kids how to pick the perfect pumpkin!



When picking a pumpkin to carve you want one that's not too odd shaped.  If it's too odd shaped then it's more difficult to carve a nice face.  It shouldn't be too big either.  If it's too big, then that's just more time that it takes Daddy to dig out the pumpkin guts!  :-)

The carving stage was the perfect opportunity to teach my daughters about knife safety. "Knives are sharp and it's important to let only Mommy or Daddy handle one.  Also, keep your face from being too close to the pumpkin while I carve in case the knife slips."  If you're careful everyone will have fun.

Next we discussed the pumpkin guts and why we need to remove them and the seeds.


Our pumpkin guts....ewwww!

I tried to get my 5 year old to dig out the guts herself, but she refused.  She did help separate the seeds, however, so that was good.  We'll later cook the seeds for a tasty snack.

Next came the carving.  Being the expert carvesman I am, I was able to carve a couple of very cool pumpkins!!!  Oh, how I kid myself.  Fortunately my daughter asked for square eyes and a circle nose, so that wasn't much of a problem.

An awesome job by Daddy (left) and Mommy (right)!
I intended to make a straight mouth on the pumpkin on the left, but as I carved, the mouth drooped down a bit, but this was a good thing.  It looks a bit scarier now!  

I encourage you to take time out of your busy schedule to carve pumpkins with your kids.  In a few years the "magic" of pumpkin carving will wear off and they'll be somewhere else hanging out with their friends, leaving you all alone.  Tis the life of a parent.  Enjoy every moment while it's there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment