Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nebraska Archway

Ever driven from somewhere in the western U.S. to the eastern U.S. or vice versa and crossed through Nebraska on I-80?  If you haven't, let me inform you that the trip through Nebraska (and eastern Colorado) can be quite boring.  It's a very dry region with a lot of farmland.  Not that farmland is boring but the dryness of the region means there is less "green" to see than in other farm states such as Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Missouri, etc.  If you have kids with you, it can be a tough drive.  There is, however, a very cool attraction that I highly recommend.  The attraction that I speak of is the Archway.  It's a big arch that stretches from one side of I-80 to the other.  I've driven under this thing many times, and remember driving under it when it was under construction (opened in 2000), but I've never stopped to check it out.


I finally had the opportunity to check this out last month (unfortunately without my kids who were not with me on this particular trip).  Inside the arch are two levels of museum exhibits that detail the western expansion of the U.S.  It was not at all what I expected inside.  All I an say is that it's very cool and something you should definitely take your kids too.  I plan on taking my kids the next time we pass by it.  

There's also a nice outdoor exhibit area that includes a Native American smoke house, along with a few other buildings, including a human maze that your kids will enjoy.  I completed the maze in 8 minutes.  :-)  



They next time you find yourself driving in Nebraska and need a break, this is a great place to take a break!  It's just outside of Kearney, NE.  


No comments:

Post a Comment