Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sweet Pea Tomatoes - Skip Them

Each spring my family and I head to the local Farmer's Market to purchase locally grown plants for our garden.  We fill the garden with several pepper and tomato plants, as well as different types of squash.  Each year I try out a couple of new varieties of tomatoes.  I decided to plant 3 cherry tomato plants, in addition to several more regular size tomato plants.  For the cherry tomato plants, I selected a black cherry and a sun-sugar.  We've had both of these before and they are delicious.  For the third plant I decided to try a sweet red cherry tomato and went with the sweet pea because it was supposed to be a sweeter tomato.

I love tomatoes, as does my 6 year old, so cherry tomatoes don't last long in our house.  It's a fight between me and her as to which one of us gets the last black cherry (purple in color) and/or the last sun-sugar (orange in color).  However, neither of us wants anything to do with the sweet pea tomatoes.  They taste okay, but the problem is their size.  I should have realized this in the spring given the name, but they are literally the size of a pea!


As you can see, they are smaller than my fingernail.  Here's a picture comparing them in size to one of the black cherry tomatoes.


Much, much smaller!  The plant itself has hundreds of little pea sized tomatoes on it.  Way too many to pick in any reasonable amount of time.  I've basically given up on picking these because it is too much trouble for what's it's worth.  A lesson learned!


No comments:

Post a Comment