Monday, March 30, 2015

Sneaky Conversation

My 7 year old has reached the age where she is constantly asking why about everything.  This is a good thing!  It shows she's interested in knowing the answers to her questions and isn't willing to settle for a simple one or two word response.


Lately she has the tendency to notice when Mommy and Daddy are talking and sneak up on us.  We'll see her peaking around the corner listening to our conversation.  When noticed, she smiles and giggles.  The other day we were sitting on the couch when she comes in, squeezes herself between us on the couch and says "watcha talking about" with a big smile on her face.

It's too hard to get mad at her for interrupting our adult conversation given the big smile on her face and her desire to know more.  It's natural for a child to want to do this.  I remember doing this all the time as a kid.  I usually didn't butt right in, but I'd hang around a corner and listen in to conversations between my parents.  Was I being snoopy?  I suppose so, but I didn't think so at the time.  I just wanted to learn more about my surroundings.

So although my daughter's constant asking of questions and butting in during adult conversations can be annoying, it's important my wife and I respect our daughter's wish to learn more.  The last thing we want to do is to suppress her desire to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment