Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The War on Science: National Geographic

I was very excited to see the latest issue of National Geographic arrive in my mailbox a couple of days ago.  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the cover, as you can see below, is about the constant war on science.


The cover mentions climate change, evolution, the moon landing, vaccinations, and genetically modified food.  In the scientific community, there is no doubt on the facts of each of these issues.  Climate change is real.  Evolution is real.  The moon landings are real.  Vaccinations really do save lives.  Genetically modified food is as healthy and beneficial as organic.  Yet each of these is debated hotly among the general public.  Why?  I'm really not sure.  In the internet age, it is extremely easy to get the facts on any issue, but at the same time, it is very easy to find false and/or misleading websites.

We're living in a day and age where a random person with a website is more trusted than a doctor with years of training or a scientist with decades of work in his/her field.  This is one of the reasons I write this blog.  There's so much misinformation floating around that I feel it necessary to put the facts out there.  By no means do I expect readers to trust me.  I usually post links to reputable science sources for readers to further research on their own.

If you haven't, I highly encourage you to check out this issue of National Geographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment