Monday, January 15, 2018

Discover Magazines Top 100 Science Stories of 2017

Each year Discover magazine publishes (Jan/Feb issue) their choices for the top 100 science stories of the previous year.  I recently finished reading this year's issue.  Many, many cool science events in 2017.  A total of 100 to be exact.  :-)

Discover Magazine - Top 100 Science Stories of 2017

The number one science story of 2017?  The total solar eclipse.  I can buy that.  Not a discovery by any means, but a highly anticipated event viewed by upwards of 200 million people in the U.S.  I was one of those people and those two minutes were worth the drive and the intense traffic jam on the way home.  More than worth the drive!  I can't wait for the next total solar eclipse to hit the U.S., in 2024.  

I was vaguely familiar with most of the 100 stories.  As a science teacher I try to pay attention with current events throughout the year.  I didn't know the details of many of the stories but remember the basics of most of the stories.  The number four story of the year was very sad and it amazes me we even have to talk about this.  The number four story was the current administration's attempt to silence science throughout the year.  Sigh.  Despite that though, pick up a copy of the January/February 2018 issue and catch up on all the science you missed in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment