Monday, September 3, 2018

Neil deGrasse Tyson vs. Katy Perry

I'm a big fan of the Star Talk Radio podcast hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson (and sometimes Bill Nye). It's a fantastic podcast to learn about the stars and immerse yourself in science. Tyson (and Nye when he hosts) includes a great deal of humor making the podcast both informative and funny. I recently listened to the episode in which Tyson interviewed Katy Perry. As always, it was a great episode, but I found a specific exchange particularly entertaining. It was a brief minute or two discussion in which Tyson explained to Perry the proper way to pronounce 'Uranus'.

Star Talk Radio with Katy Perry

She pronounced it 'Your-Anus' which is how it looks and makes for a limitless number of funny jokes. Tyson responds by telling her this is how you pronounce it up through 8th grade (he may have said middle school or something similar) and then you start pronouncing it 'Your-uh-nus'. I just found the exchange funny. I'm nearly 40 yet I'm always game for a good Uranus joke. LOL!

I encourage you to listen to this episode, but also listen to Star Talk Radio on a regular basis. Again, it's a great astronomy focused science podcast your kids will learn much from but also find entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment