Monday, February 3, 2020

Black Mirror - Conclusion

Last month I shared I started watching the TV series 'Black Mirror'. I couldn't stop watching and binge watched the episodes in just a couple of weeks, recently finishing the series until a new season, hopefully, is released. Note: I have not yet watched the separate movie episode 'Bandersnatch', but it is on my list to watch soon! I recently wrote about my thoughts on the beginning of the series. Clearly I liked it as I finished it off not much later.

Black Mirror is such a good series. I encourage all of my readers to watch it! I love that each episode is stand alone. They do not directly connect as in the story line of one episode is not directly linked to the next episode. Although I watched them all in order, you don't need to watch them in order. Each episode is its own story with a different set of characters.

The series focuses on how technology changes our lives and not for the better. It's a dark look at how we are controlled by our devices and how future technological advances will further our reliance on tech. It doesn't initially seem possible, but as you watch each episode you begin to conclude that yes, this could really happen! Take the very first episode, for example. This is the pig episode. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you watch it. At first the episode seems very unrealistic. Surely this could never happen, right? But then I start thinking about society and how easily the masses are controlled by technology and the plot no longer seems unreasonable. Unlikely, maybe, but I'm not sure.

You'll know what I'm talking about when you watch it. Black Mirror is a disturbing look at the present and future of society, but a series that was impossible for me to stop watching. I'd finish one episode and immediately want to start a new episode. It look a lot of self-control to avoid taking a sick day from work and binge watching all day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment