Friday, April 12, 2013

Growing a Pumpkin Plant

Spring is here which means it's time to get outside and start planting!  Well, maybe not quite yet.  I usually get out and plant the garden the first week of May.  It's usually safe to plant the first week of May without the worry of getting a freeze overnight.

Several weeks ago my wife and daughter planted a pumpkin seed in a little cup of soil.  The pumpkin shoot started to grow and this week my 6 year old and I transferred it to a bigger pot.  It's still inside the house because the outside temp can still get low enough to freeze and kill the plant.



Growing plants is a great learning experience for young kids.  It teaches them responsibility because if you aren't responsible and don't water the plant and clear it of weeds, it will die.  

I'm not quite sure where this plant is going when it gets bigger.  Pumpkin plants spread throughout a garden.  I have some room in the garden, but I'm not sure where to put it in the garden.  I guess I'll figure it out in early May when I plant the rest of the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment