Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Teach Your Kids the Importance of Recycling

It's very common for towns and cities across the United States to provide curb-side recycling pickup.  In some towns it's even mandatory that each citizen recycle.  I wish that was the case in all towns.  As an adult, if you value the environment and want your children and grand children and great grand children to live in the same beautiful world that you grew up in, then it's crucial that you teach them the importance of recycling.  In the town I live in we have curbside recycling.  For the last year or so my wife and I have been working on teaching our daughter which items are recyclable and which are not.

Our recycling bin.  Not sure why it is so small when there is so much that can be recycled.

Just the other day I was thinking to myself that my daughter has a pretty good idea of what is recyclable, but does she understand why we recycle?  I asked her and she didn't know, so we had a short chat about being able to reuse paper, plastic, and glass.  There's no need to throw something away when it can be used again and again and again.  This seemed to make sense to her and she smiled at me.  :-)  If you haven't had a recycling discussion with your kids, now's the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment