Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tribute to Elementary School Teachers

I want to take a moment to thank all elementary school teachers that work tirelessly every day to teach our future doctors, dentists, lawyers, architects, scientists, teachers, etc.  As a physics and astronomy teacher of junior and senior high school students I often get asked how I do it?  Teaching isn't for everyone and I'm not sure how I do it.  I just do.  It seems natural to me and I love it!  But I have the same question for elementary school teachers.  How do you do it day in and day out?

Every semester, at least once, I teach a Saturday youth program that centers around astronomy and physics.  This past month I taught a program two Saturdays in a row that focused on spaceflight and rocket building.  The age group was 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.  The first Saturday I had a smaller group of 8 students.  The second Saturday I had a much larger group of 20, 18 of which were boys!  It was 3 hours of craziness!  Trying to keep 20 students (18 boys) on task was a challenge to say the least.  Most elementary school classrooms have more than 20 students.  My 5 year old daughter has 24 students in her kindergarten class.

To conclude, I enjoy working with younger kids once in a while (as in once or twice a semester), but there's no way I could handle it 5 days a week.  So here's a big shout out to all elementary school teachers in this country.  You're doing a great job, a job that I'm not capable of doing!  Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment