Thursday, September 28, 2017

Old Capitol Museum - Iowa City, IA

Over this past Labor Day break, one of my work colleagues and I took a weekend trip to Iowa City, IA to attend an Iowa Hawkeyes football game.  I attended undergraduate school here many years ago and this was my first visit back in over 15 years.  We had a fantastic time at the game, made even better by Iowa beating Wyoming 24-3.




I always found this stadium very impressive so it was great to come back for a game.  After the game we took a tour around campus.  I was curious to see what had changed.  Several new buildings since 15 years ago and many new restaurants and pubs.  We took a look at the Old Capitol building and took a tour of the museum inside.  The Old Capitol building was built in 1840 and served as the location of Iowa's first capitol.  The capitol was later moved to its current location, Des Moines, in 1857.  The museum is a great piece of history and it was fun looking around and seeing the original state house and senate chambers.  Very impressive!  The building is not large, so it doesn't take long to tour, but definitely stop by if you find yourself in the area.  The museum is free to tour too!  


This was a kid-less trip, but at some point I'd like to take my kids to Iowa City for a visit.  My oldest daughter is already 10, so who knows, in 6-7 years we may be taking a trip for a college visit!  Yikes!  College already?!?!  Wow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment