Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Facebook Book Challenge Day #1

Recently one of my close friends sent me a challenge on Facebook. Normally I ignore all of these challenges. Too many of them are chain mail 'challenges' that hold no meaning or they are posts telling you to re-share if you agree or re-share/like if you love Jesus type of things. But this was a book challenge to post the cover of a book you loved, each day, for a period of seven days. Books hold a great meaning in my life and the power of books is something I always try to impress upon my kids. So I decided to take up the challenge and post a book each day for a week and nominate a new person each day to take up the challenge.  The challenge is the following:


For seven days, I will post the cover of a book that I love -- no review and no explanation -- and each day that I post, I will nominate a friend for the challenge and encourage them to go forth and do likewise. I was nominated by xxxxx.

Day One: I nominate xxxxx.

On day one I posted the cover of The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.


I've read this book several times and it holds great significance in my life. Carl Sagan died while I was in high school, but reading his books was one of the big things that pushed me toward a career in the sciences. This particular book focuses on the pseudoscience prevalent in society and why people are convinced they know the truth when basic facts say otherwise. Sagan died 22 years ago, but his words are just as powerful today as they were then. 

My daughters are not quite old enough to read and really appreciate this book, but I'd say anyone in middle school and definitely high school can appreciate and learn from this book. It's a great gift idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment