Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Agatha Christie

Love of Books

I love books and am always on the look out for new (or old) authors and new series to read. I have far too many books at home, but I keep adding to my collection and I highly doubt I'll ever stop!

Agatha Christie

As a teenager I remember coming across an Agatha Christie mystery novel my parents owned. I read it, but it didn't stick with me and I never read another Christie novel until recently. With public libraries now offering many e-books not available in physical form, it's much easier to check out and read books for free without purchasing them. Thus, when I found my library offers many, if not most Agatha Christie books in e-book form, I jumped at the chance to check a few out.

Hercule Poirot

I decided to start with Christie's Hercule Poirot detective series. Poirot is a short, elderly Belgium detective who is quite full of himself, but also quite good at solving mysteries. Christie started the Poirot series in the early 1920's, so the writing style is very different from mystery novels today. Christie's books are not the same thriller murder mystery books you commonly find today. Instead, her novels focus on a deep look at the evidence found at the scene of a crime and the connection between characters. Every character as a closer connection with every other character, making it very difficult to determine who committed the crime until the very end.

Poirot has a side-kick, Hastings, who is often as clueless as I am in figuring out who did it. LOL! I've only read the first few Poirot books, but overall I have a much greater appreciation for Agatha Christie's novels now, as an adult, than I did when I was a teenager. They are well worth a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment