Tuesday, February 5, 2019

October Sky

Family Movie Night

When we can, we like to have family movie nights. We make some popcorn, cuddle up on the couch, and now that it's winter, start up a fire in the fireplace. It's a wood burning fireplace so it gives of the authentic crackling and popping sounds of burning wood. Our most recent family movie night was a viewing of the 1999 movie, October Sky. I own this movie, but it had been many, many years since I had last seen it. Probably more than a decade.

October Sky

October Sky is based on the true story of Homer Hickam and his life growing up in Coalwood, West Virginia. The movie is based on Hickam's book, Rocket Boys.


I have not yet read the book but it is on my to-read list. The movie starts with Hickam as a teenager, set during the early space race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Hickam becomes interested in rocketry and begins building rockets with plans to enter a local science fair. The timing of us watching this movie was perfect as it was just a few days before my youngest daughter's first science fair!

Although the building and launching of rockets is great, it is not what makes this movie great. The movie also details what life is like in mining country in West Virginia. Jobs outside of mining are scarce and very few make it out of town. The mine is dying and miners are losing their jobs, homes, etc. There is very little consideration in anything that doesn't work toward bringing mining jobs back. It is depressing in many ways. This portrayal of mining life in West Virginia, combined with the excitement of rockets is what makes this movie great.

Early in the movie there is a scene of Hickam leaving his house. At this point I paused the movie and told my kids that I've seen that house. Well, not the house in the movie as it was filmed in Tennessee, but I have driven by the actual Homer Hickam boyhood home in Coalwood, WV. This occurred a couple of years ago on a school trip to West Virginia. I'm not sure my kids were excited as I was. It was more or less a "that's nice Daddy" moment. LOL!

If you haven't seen October Sky, it's a great family movie. If you haven't read the book, Rocket Boys, do so. I know I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment