Monday, July 15, 2019

Left Alive #1 - Book Review

Every summer I have plans of reading a huge list of books and every summer I fall short. I fall short not because I'm not reading but because my pre-summer reading plans are far too ambitious. :-) So once again I will fall short this summer. However, my reading goal for 2019 was 40 books and I am comfortably ahead of that pace, so I feel good about what I have been able to read thus far this year.

The most recent book I finished was the first book in the Left Alive series by Jeremy Laszlo. The Left Alive series is NOT to be confused with the religious Left Behind series. :-) Left Alive is about zombies! Left Behind is about being left behind on Earth when Jesus arrives. Very, very different stories!!!


I'm not sure how I feel about this book and ended up rating it a 3 out of 5 stars, primarily on what I think is the potential to be a good series. I enjoy zombie books. It was a quick read, which was good. I'm not interested in a lengthy book on zombies. The goal of zombie books for me is a quick read in between lengthier novels. I will continue reading the series, but I didn't immediately fall in love. The story takes awhile to develop and there's only really one character in the first book. There are some side characters, but the focus is on one, and only one, character. The book does build and become more interesting toward the end, setting up for the second book. The ratings are higher for the second book, so that's good. As a first book in a series, however, this book left me wanting more, which I hope is delivered in the second book.

If you are already a fan of zombie books, I'd say give this one a read. If you haven't read a zombie book before, please do not start with this book! There are so many other good zombie books out there to start with. Read those first, then start this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment