Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Trip to Maine - Post #15: Maine State Capitol Building

After finishing the first leg of our trip to Maine in Portland and the surrounding area, we packed up and headed further north along the coast to spend a few days near Acadia National Park. On the drive up we stopped in Augusta, Maine, the state capitol and did a self-tour of the capitol building. I've previously visited the Iowa and West Virginia state capitols and have a goal of hitting all 50 state capitols in my lifetime! I'm 6% finished, LOL! I find state capitol buildings very interesting. They are filled with political history!




The Sergeant at Arms for the Maine State House came by and gave us a personal tour and let us sit and take pictures in the chair of the Speaker of the House. Very cool! I was geeking out asking the Sergeant all sorts of questions. Eventually my kids grew bored, but I had a great time! Touring state capitol buildings isn't for everyone, but if you want to add a bit of history to your trip to Maine, stop in Augusta and spend an hour or two in the state capitol building. Talk to the Sergeant of Arms, a super nice individual!

No comments:

Post a Comment