Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Spine of the World - Book Review

With COVID-19 stay at home orders in place since mid-March for much of the country, I've had more time to read. Currently, I'm 6 books ahead of pace to reach my reading goal of 45 books read in 2020. My latest read was The Spine of the World by R.A. Salvatore. This is the 12th book in the Drizzt series, although this book has very little to do with Drizzt, the dark elf. This story focuses on the inner turmoil of Wulgar, the barbarian who was held captive, thought dead by his friends and tortured endlessly by a demon. Upon Wulgar's freedom, he struggled to return to normal life and left his friends to go out on his own.

I enjoyed the book as I do pretty much any fantasy book, but I have to say this book was not as good as the others in the series. The first half of the book moves pretty slow and there's a lot of predictability to it. Predictability isn't always bad, but the slow movement of the story was a bit of a struggle to read. The book picks up in the latter half and raises my overall ranking of it. I'm still glad I read it and I think it's worth the read if you are reading the series. Don't skip it, but don't expect it to be one of the better books in the series. In my opinion it ranks near the bottom, if not the bottom of the 12 books thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment