Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Fizzy Balloon Experiment

Today my daughter and I set out to complete the Fizzy Balloon experiment.  It's a very simple experiment that is certain to light up the eyes of any child.  It certainly lit up my daughter's eyes.  For setup you need an empty 16 oz or 20 oz soda/water bottle.  Put 1/2 cup of vinegar in the bottle.  Put 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a non-inflated balloon.  Use a funnel if necessary.  Then fit the balloon over the bottle top.  Tip the balloon such that the baking soda falls into the vinegar.  Then watch the show.  Below is our successful attempt.


The baking soda reacts with the vinegar which causes from the bubbling.  This chemical reaction releases a gas that fills the balloon.  My daughter and I did this 3 times before she was satisfied.  Then she proceeded to stir the mixture in a bowl in the sink.  She had a blast with this experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment