Monday, July 16, 2012

Take Your Child Bowling

Bowling is an excellent activity for you and your child(ren), especially on hot days that are no fun to be outside.  It's a relatively cheap activity that gets your kids physically active and whether you realize it or not, there's a lot of science involved.  You can ask your daughter what she thinks will happen if you throw the bowling ball down the lane slower or faster.  What happens if you use a heavier ball?  Why does her light, 6 pound ball not activate the sensor to reset the pins?  What happens if Daddy or Mommy put a little bit of spin on the ball?  Why is the lane a bit "shinier" than the floor you walk on?  If you're not quite sure yourself, do a quick Google search on these questions and get a basic idea.  This will turn bowling into a fun educational experience for both of you!


If you're looking to reduce costs, I encourage you to check out http://www.kidsbowlfree.com and see if a bowling alley near you is part of this program.  Fortunately one of my hometown alleys takes part in this program.  I can sign my kids up for free and they get two free games of bowling every day that the bowling alley is open!  Can't beat that!  Earlier this summer I was able to take part of promotion from this site that allowed me to buy a family pass (up to 4 adults) for only $19.96.  The family pass lets adults bowl 2 free games every day that the alley is open.  As long as I bowl 10 games (5 times to the alley) before August 31, I make out ahead.  My daughter and I have already bowled 8 games, so only one more trip and I break even. I'm not sure that the pass is a good idea at this point since it ends on August 31, but you can still take advantage of the kids bowl free option.  My daughter absolutely loves to bowl and it keeps us active but out of the blistering sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment