Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Science of the Olympics

Are you a fan of the Olympics?  If so, you're probably well aware that the Summer Olympics run from July 27 to August 12 in London this year.  I've been a big fan of the Olympics ever since I was a little kid.  For a period of 2-3 weeks every 2 years I find myself glued to the TV every night.  I avoid sports news pages all day long so as not to have something given away before the evening.  This is also the first year where one of my daughters is old enough to watch and appreciate the hard work that Olympic athletes put themselves through.  Whether you realize it or not, there's a lot of science involved in Olympic sports.  A quick web search led me to several resources that you can use as a parent to teach your child some this basic science



As long as I can remember NBC has hosted the Olympics on TV and they'e created a couple of excellent websites on the science of the Olympics.


Here's another link I found on the web that discusses the relationship between science and the Olympics.


I also found a very cool site with Olympic style activities for you and your child(ren) to complete in preparation for the Olympics.  


The Olympics are a great way to introduce your kids to more obscure sports and teach them science at the same time.  You don't have to been an expert in a science field to teach your kids the science of these sports.  The above web sites will get you started with plenty of information.  


No comments:

Post a Comment