Monday, April 29, 2013

Easter Science

Easter Sunday came and went a few weeks ago.  If you're like many families with kids, you probably hid Easter eggs around the house for your kids to search for in the morning.  If you're like me, you hid too many eggs and your kids didn't find all of them and neither could you!  We were left with 2 un-found eggs.  My kids couldn't find them.  I couldn't find them.  Who knows where they went?!?!  A couple of days later I found one of them hidden behind a couple of books.  It wasn't hidden that well and was fairly obvious to see.  Not sure why it took a couple of days to find.  The second missing egg is still missing 3-4 weeks later.  Fortunately it is a plastic egg with candy or coins inside.  I figure we'll eventually find it, but for now I have no clue where it is at.

Easter is also an excellent time to do a bit of science in the terms of coloring hard boiled eggs.

Coloring eggs is a blast for kids (at least my kids), and it's a good opportunity to explain why the water changes color and why the eggs become colored.  Even if you don't know much about the science of colors, you probably know the basics.  For example, red + blue = purple, blue + yellow = green, etc.  Regardless of the depth of your knowledge, your kids will appreciate the knowledge that you have available to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment