Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Importance of the Decimal Point

The decimal point plays a very important role in written math or written prices.  I'm adding this to the list of things my daughters must know before moving out of the house when they are older.  The other day we drove by a gas station that had an interesting price for hot dogs on it.  We were on our way to a restaurant a a block or two away, so when we got out of the car I took a picture with my cell phone.  The picture below isn't great, but it's the best I could do with my phone from that distance.


Yeah, it's a bit blurry, but if you can't pick it out it says "BALLPARK FRANKS 2 for $222".

Okay, I'm always up for a good ball park frank, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to pay for 1 or 2.  $222 is a bit beyond that limit!  But I suppose it's a deal.  One hot dog by itself is probably $169.  So that second hot dog is considerably reduced in price!

Now my wife looks at me and tells me that obviously it means 2/$2.22.  Well, I suppose, but without that decimal point, those two hot dogs are being advertised at $222!!!

Interestingly enough, on our way home we passed another gas station selling 2 hot dogs for $2.  Wow!  A full $220 cheaper than the first gas station!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment