Monday, November 25, 2013

My Daughter's Canker Sore

My 6 year old has her first canker sore.  It's a rude welcome for her and something she picked up from me.  I get canker sores quite often and have learned to deal with them.  The ones I get are pretty big and the one she has on the inside of her lower lip is a pretty big one too.  I'd take a picture and show you, but it's kind of disgusting so I'll be nice and leave the picture out.  :-)

My wife and I had a talk with our 6 year old this morning and gave her some tips on how to deal with the pain.  It's usually only painful when eating or rubbing the inside of your lip against your teeth.  I gave her some tips on certain foods (acidic foods such as some fruits, ranch dressing really bothered her yesterday, etc.) to avoid that can irritate the sore and cause pain and also that chewing on the other side of her mouth can help.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about a canker sore except to let it run its course.  Within a few days the sore will diminish in size and then disappear.  The best I could really tell my little one was to be patient and in a few days it will be better.  That didn't comfort her too much and I had to deal with her pouty face, but that's the life of a parent!

For more on canker sores, read the following entry on Web MD.

Web MD - Canker Sores

No comments:

Post a Comment