Friday, November 8, 2013

This Blog's History: Why Does Water Condense on Windows and Glasses?

As a kid I always wondered why water droplets formed on windows and on drinking glasses.  I had no idea what condensation was when I was a kid, so I concluded that water in a glass "leaked" through the glass and caused the outside to become wet.  LOL!  I was wrong, but can you blame a little kid for coming to that conclusion?

It turns out that the answer is condensation.  I first discussed this on this blog on March 19, 2013.

Condensation Misconception

You can read the original post at the link above for full details.  Basically if the air surrounding the glass or window is warmer than the glass/window, energy will transfer from the air to the glass.  When this happens, the water vapor molecules lose energy.  If they lose enough energy their temperature drops enough to change phase from a gas to a liquid.  Thus water (liquid) droplets form on the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment