Thursday, June 5, 2014

Coaching

Soccer season for my two daughters is now complete and I'm once again reflecting on my experience of coaching my 3 year old's team.  The experience was a very positive one.  It was my second season, following the Fall 2013 season, of coaching my 3 year old's team.  I also had the opportunity to fill in as coach for a game for my 7 year old's team.  Both experiences were amazing and I loved every minute of it.  I encourage all parents to carefully consider volunteering to be a coach for your child's team.  Maybe it's soccer, basketball, football, t-ball, baseball, softball, etc.  City and county leagues are always looking for volunteer coaches.

In most cases, no coaching experience is needed.  Many leagues will provide coach training sessions.  Take myself as an example.  I have no experience playing organized soccer and the number of unorganized soccer games I've played in my life can be counted on one hand!  Soccer was not a big thing when and where I grew up.  My 3 year old's team consists of 3 and 4 year old kids.  At that age, the coaches biggest responsibility is getting all kids to play, helping them when they fall down and/or cry, and making sure they all get to kick the ball a few times during the game.  Coaching responsibilities increase a bit as skills become more important as your child ages, but one can easily pick this up by watching a few games in the older age groups.

Coaching isn't for everyone, but don't immediately discount it.  I never thought I'd be a coach and then suddenly the opportunity presented itself and now I love it!  It's a great bonding experience with my girls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment