Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Walk Through Nature

I've stated this before and I'll state it again.  Never underestimate the power of a walk through your neighborhood.  Sure, walks through official nature areas are very cool, but a simple walk down the street can bring wonders to the eyes of your children.  For example, the other day my 7 year old and I went for a walk to a nearby neighborhood pond.  Near the pond we found several dragonfly like animals flying around.  My daughter was particularly focused on a particular one that had landed on a blade of grass.


I admit that it's pretty cool looking, but I have no idea what it officially is.  My daughter was asking several questions, and all I could tell her is "I don't know".  Again, don't underestimate the power of saying "I don't know".  It'll let your kids know that science isn't about knowing all of the answers, but that it's about finding and searching for an answer.  Science starts by observing your surroundings and walks through the neighborhood are a perfect opportunity to do just this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment