Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge

I knew it would happen sooner or later and it happened last week.  My sister nominated me to complete the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or better known as Lou Gehrig's disease.  I accepted the challenge and my kids had fun as my wife dumped a bucket of ice water on my head.  LOL!

In addition to the challenge, we'll be donating to an ALS charity.  Often times it is unknown if a charity is a good charity.  It may sound legit and of high quality, but how does one really know?  What fraction of raised funds go to the cause the charity is funding?  To the general public, this can be a very difficult answer to find.  Fortunately there is a great website, Charity Navigator, that does all of the work for you.

Charity Navigator

I used Charity Navigator to check out a couple of ALS charities and found Project ALS to donate to.  They have very high rankings and nearly all of the raised funds go to ALS research.  Any charity you can think of is in the Charity Navigator database.  This is a very valuable resource as I think we all want our donated money to be used appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment