Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Bad Astronomy Movie #4 - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Movie #4 in my Bad Astronomy May Term class was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  The book by Douglas Adams is fantastic, but the movie left much to be desired.  I saw this movie in the theater when it first came out and found myself nodding off at times during the second go around.



The movie is not meant to be scientifically accurate, although there are areas where bad science is present.  Consider the flower pot falling through the air.  No petals fly off!  Given the large air resistance forces present, it's inconceivable no petals would fly off.  The quick accelerations of various spacecraft would kill someone in real life.  So there's a bit of bad science.

There are funny parts in the movie and it is not even close to the worst movie I've ever seen, but I doubt I'll be watching this one again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment