Monday, June 29, 2015

Learning to Ride a Bike

My 8 year old recently finished 2nd grade and is about to start third grade, but until very recently did not know how to ride a bike.  It's not without trying.  My wife and I have tried for 2+ years to help her learn how to ride a bike.  My 8 year old, however, was having nothing to do with it.  She'd scream bloody murder and fight getting on the bike and simply refuse to try.  There's not much as parents we could do so we didn't push it.  


This changed a few weeks ago.  We had a nice day and were just hanging out at home.  My wife and I decided this would be the perfect day to try the bike riding instructions again.  My 8 year old was very hesitant and we could see she was very nervous.  She put on her helmet and got on her bike.  Within 5 minutes she was riding her bike by herself and having a blast!!!  She had a huge smile on her face and was super excited that she learned how to ride a bike.  In fact, she didn't want to come in for dinner!  

I wish we could have gotten her to realize all of this earlier, but that's parenting!  We've learned that when she's ready to do something, she'll do it.  It was a very proud moment for my wife and I.  Riding a bike is sort of a rite of passage.  To top things off, our 4 year old asked to remove her training wheels and try too.  She wasn't as successful, but had fun learning too!  I doubt it will take her another 3-4 years to ride a bike without training wheels.  

No comments:

Post a Comment