Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Odd Candle

This isn't truly a science experiment, but I tagged it as one because I don't have another good category for it.  :-)  I'm a big fan of candles to make a room smell nice.  It's fall, so I'm currently using a pumpkin spice candle.  Instead of an open flame candle, I put the candle on a candle warmer which simply melts the wax and gives off a nice pumpkin spice smell.  What's interesting with this candle that my kids have noticed, is the way in which the wax hardens.  Instead of hardening into a flat surface, as my vanilla candle does, the pumpkin spice candles hardens with a hole in the center.


Why the hole?  Honestly, I'm not sure.  I assume it has something to do with the location/pattern of the heating element in the candle holder.  This candle is taller than my vanilla candle that hardens with a smooth, flat surface.  I need to check on the candle as it hardens, but each time I turn the candle off, I forget to check on it before it hardens!  My kids thought it was cool, and I admit I find it cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment