Thursday, November 3, 2016

Making a Model Earth

Over fall break, in addition to making a volcano, my kids made a small model globe of the Earth.  This was also part of the Smithsonian kit my 9 year old received as a gift earlier this year.


They started with a spherical blue Earth and had to draw in the lines of the continents and then paint the lines.  Granted, there's not much science to this activity, but it does give one experience with the overall geography of the Earth.  Knowing where the continents are located is a good piece of knowledge to have.  


Not too shabby!  The polar ice cap in the north extends a little too far to the south, but that's just me being over-picky!  Not sure what we're doing with this globe now.  I'm guessing they will find a shelf in their room to sit it on and admire.  It also comes with a mini-moon attached.  Now that I think about it, this could be a good physical model to use to illustrate the lunar phases with a flashlight.  I'll have to check that out!


No comments:

Post a Comment