Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Ashes to Dust - Book Review

I may have exceeded my goal of reading 40 books in 2019, but that isn't stopping me from reading! I first visited Iceland in 2014 with my wife, and four years later, in 2018, we went back to Iceland with our kids. While there I searched for Icelandic authors to add to my to-read list, coming across Yrsa Sigurdardottir (sorry, leaving off the accents). Ashes to Dust is the third book in the Thora Gundmundsdottir series. These books fall into the genre of Icelandic noir, or more generally Nordic noir, murder/mystery/detective books written from the point of view of those doing the investigation.


Ashes to Dust is another great book in the series and kept me on the edge of my seat, especially the last 100-125 pages. There was quite the unexpected twist at the end! Wow! Another reason I enjoy reading this series is the knowledge I pick up about Iceland. Iceland is an amazing country and it won't be long before I'm itching to go back for the third time. In this book I learned quite a bit about the volcanic eruption on the island of Heimaey in 1973. No one was killed, but over 400 homes were destroyed during the eruption. 

A volcanic eruption combined with a fictional murder-mystery with a twist! Good reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment