Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Ice Melt Experiment

The other day, while outside, my 7 year old comes up to me and says "Daddy, I have a science experiment!"  I asked her what it was and she proceeds to tell me that she wants to see how long it takes ice to melt on the driveway outside.  Why not?  She ran inside to get an ice cube and we sat it on the sunny driveway.  It was 79 degrees out and it took 10 minutes and 45 seconds for the ice cube to completely melt.  This led us to expand the experiment and test melting ice times on days of different temperatures.  So throughout the summer, and into the fall, we'll periodically take an ice cube (all same size, made in freezer ice maker), place it on the driveway on a sunny day, record the temperature and ice melt time.  How much longer does it take if it's 10 degrees cooler outside?  10 degrees hotter outside?  We'll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment