Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ireland - Driving on the Left Side of the Road

Last month my family and I visited Ireland for the first time.  We spent 8 days there and had a fantastic time!  We toured the northern and eastern parts of Ireland and Northern Ireland.  The one thing you have to get used to right away upon entering the country is driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car.  Having never driven on the left side of the road from the right side of the car before, this was a bit of a challenge.

Not our car...this is a stock Google image.

The basics of driving are the same, but the way your brain has been conditioned to think is very different.  For example, in the U.S. when I need to look to see what is behind me, I look to the upper right at my rear-view mirror and I have my view.  In Ireland, my brain is conditioned to look to the right, so that's what I kept doing, only to find myself staring out my window!!!  It took extra thought to look to my upper LEFT to see the rear view mirror.  

In addition, it took extra thought when turning left or right.  When turning left in the U.S., one crosses a lane of traffic.  In Ireland, when turning right you cross a lane of traffic.  It takes a moment of extra thought to make sure one is looking the right away for oncoming traffic.  

I will fully admit I was very nervous at first and took extra caution.  By the end of the trip I was much more comfortable, but still had to constantly think when turning to make sure I was doing it right!  

Despite the possible difficulties driving, I highly encourage all of you reading this to find time to visit Ireland.  It was simply amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment