Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Start of the New School Year

Every year my kids get older.  My wife and I tell them to stop getting older, but they just won't listen!  :-)  Last month they started a new school year.  My 9 year old is now in fourth grade and my 6 year old is in first grade.  They were both super excited to go back to school and I hope their love for school sticks with them as they go through puberty, middle school, high school, and beyond.


It's been amazing watching them grow over the years and seeing how they've grown as critical thinkers.  Some of the questions they ask are amazing.  Some are silly.  But the point is they continue asking questions and seeking the truth.  Asking questions is something my wife and I have always stressed with our daughters.  It's something I stress with my students at work.  Part of learning is asking questions and seeking/demanding the truth.  If we don't ask questions, we don't learn.  We don't advance forward as a society.

I have no idea in which career direction my kids will head as they work their way through school, but I'm ready to watch and find out.  Having kids is stressful.  It's expensive.  You worry a lot.  But in the end, it's an amazing experience.  Watching their big smiles on the first day of school this year is evidence of how awesome it is to have them as my daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment