Monday, February 12, 2018

Foil as an Insulator

Let me start with a warning that this post brings up my true geekiness!  I usually have a cup of coffee each morning that I take with me in a travel mug to work.  The travel mug keeps the coffee hot for a longer period of time.  At the start of this year I finally went in for the annual blood draw my doctor asks for...about 8 months late!  My annual physical is coming up so I figured I'd better get in and do the blood draw my doctor ordered at my physical LAST year!  I always go in when the office opens because a blood draw requires me to fast with no food or drink, other than water, after bed.  That includes coffee.  Okay, not that big of a deal, but it was really cold out and I didn't want my coffee in my travel mug in the cold car getting cold, so I did this to it.

Travel mug wrapped in foil.

I wrapped my travel mug filled with coffee with foil.  Foil acts as a good insulator to retain heat, thus keeping my coffee warm.  My wife may have given me a weird look in the morning and those at my office watching me carry this foil wrapped mug were probably wondering what the hell I was doing, but you know what?  My coffee was still hot!  And that's all that matters!  :-)  The moral to this story?  If you're trying to keep something hot (or cold), foil is a could substitute to use when in a pinch.  It retains heat in and prevents additional heat from entering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment