Monday, February 5, 2018

Importance of Understanding Graphs

Last week I shared a question I had regarding an image caption in an issue of Scientific American.  In that case, I was the one who was wrong.  I misinterpreted the caption, which lead to my question.  To start this week I have an image from the January/February 2018 issue of Popular Science.

See anything incorrect with the Da Hong Pao Tea graph and corresponding discussion?
Focus on the written description and graph for Da Hong Pao Tea.  The description states the price dropped significantly in the 1980s yet when I look at the graph, the price remains stable and high throughout the 1980s.  It only drops in the late 1990s.  Either the graph is wrong or the date in the description is wrong.  I'm not going to harp too much on Popular Science.  Mistakes happen all the time and this is a relatively minor mistake.  I will be curious if Popular Science publishes a correction in the March/April issue.  

This ties in to last week's post on what I at first thought was a mistake in the size of the Universe in an issue of Scientific American.  Again, always question things that don't make sense, but be ready to accept that your question/understanding may be what is incorrect.  In the case of this Popular Science graph, my question is a good one.  Although I suppose there is something I'm completely missing, and I'm open to that.  In the case of the Scientific American question, my understanding was initially incorrect.

Remember, good skeptics and critical thinkers are always questioning, but they are also always open to the possibility that they are the ones who are wrong at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment