Thursday, April 26, 2018

How to Say 'Uranus'?

Every teacher's favorite planet is Uranus, for the simple fact it elicits unstoppable laughter.  You know what I mean.  What person can't help but laugh at a planet often pronounced YOUR-ANUS??!!!??  LOL!  I admit, whenever we cover Uranus in my upper level high school classes, it brings a chuckle to me as well.  I can't help but break a smile when the first student smiles start to crack.  LOL!  At some level we are all children who think butt jokes are funny.

So how do you pronounce Uranus?  Fraser Cain over at Universe Today states the proper pronunciation is ur-unus.  That's how I say it in class, but that's not going to stop those YOUR-ANUS jokes!  LOL!  Regardless of how you pronounce it, no one can argue Uranus has a very cool blue color to it.

Notice the rings...Uranus is tipped on its side.

No comments:

Post a Comment