Thursday, April 5, 2018

Starting Softball

My 11 year old has always been interested in soccer.  She's played since she was 4 and has never had any interest in trying another sport.  In fact, when we ask she seems offended that we would ever consider asking her if she wanted to try a new sport.  LOL!  My 7 year old, on the other hand, is interested in trying many things.  She played soccer for a few years (I coached her team) but she decided not to play this year.  She wanted to try new things and started taijutsu last year and continues with that.  This spring she'll start playing softball for the first time.  We recently went out and bought her a glove and a bat.  Her and I have been out a few times on warmer days to play catch.  I'm quite impressed with how quickly she's picked up throwing and catching.  She's got a strong arm on her and looks natural when throwing, not something all kids can easily pull off when first starting.  I always thought I was pretty good as a kid playing baseball, but if there was video, I'm sure I would have looked very awkward when I first started!

Spring is here and softball is starting!
At the time of writing this, practice has not yet started, but my 7 year old is very excited!  I've had fun playing catch with her.  Although I have fun kicking around the soccer ball with my 11 year old, playing catch with a softball comes much more naturally to me.  It's the sport (baseball) I played for years as a kid and the sport I can provide the most guidance to my kids.  When I was coaching soccer I was learning on the fly.  I never played soccer as a kid, nor did I play as a college student or as an adult.  My first real soccer experience came when I coached my daughter's team when she was 3!  Softball season, here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment