Tuesday, March 31, 2020

12 AM vs. 12 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is the confusion between 12 AM and 12 PM. Yes, I know I've written about this before and here's the link to that post.

What Does Midnight Mean?

Why am I writing about it again? Because a couple of weeks ago we went out to eat and this is the sign on the door of the restaurant.


Why was I cranky about this sign? Because it was a Sunday and we were there to eat at 11:33 AM. According to the sign, the store opens at 12 AM on Sundays. Midnight. According to the sign, they opened at midnight, also known as the START of the day. Meaning they were supposed to be open at 11:33 AM!!!

Yes, I know they clearly open at noon (12 PM) on Sundays. I just don't understand why this is a hard concept for people to understand. Midnight (12 AM) is the START of a day. Not the end of the day. If it is midnight on a Friday, Friday has just started and there are 24 hours left before Saturday gets here! Noon (12 PM) is the halfway point in a day.

Sigh. It probably didn't help that I had the hangries when I saw this sign and found a locked door. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment