Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Barbie Birthday Cake

My oldest daughter recently turned 6 and for her birthday she wanted a Barbie bowling party.  That's right, not just a bowling party, but a Barbie bowling party!  She invited several friends from school and we all had a blast bowling, eating cake, and opening presents.  The cool thing is that there was science involved in preparing for the party.  My wife did a magnificent job, as always, making the birthday cake. Here it is.


This is an actual Barbie doll that is pushed into a cake (the bottom of the dress) and then my wife decorated the top half of Barbie to finish the dress.  Where is the science?  Well, Barbie has to remain standing and although the cake holds Barbie in place, the cake is soft and spongy, as cake should be, so Barbie had to be placed such that her center of mass was in the right place.  Otherwise Barbie would tipped over.  My daughter watched very intently as my wife placed Barbie in the cake.

Then we had to transport the Barbie cake to the bowling alley.  I drove while my wife held the cake, trying to support it as we drove over pot hole filled roads!  She was more worried than I about the cake falling apart.  A few days before this I watched an episode of MacGyver where MacGyver had to transport several cases of leaking dynamite across 50 miles of hilly, bumpy roads.  He survived, so I figured I could travel 4-5 miles to the bowling alley!  We did make it there okay.  




No comments:

Post a Comment