Friday, March 8, 2013

Getting in Trouble at School

My 5 year old's kindergarten teacher uses a color coded card system to determine whether students follow the rules or end up getting in trouble.  A student who stays on green the entire day followed all of the rules and didn't get in to trouble.  Yellow is a warning, followed by other colors if students go beyond a warning.  My daughter takes after me and is goody-two-shoes and usually follows all of the rules.  I say that in a positive way.

There have been 4 or 5 times this school year where she's come home with a yellow.  I can always tell when she gets a yellow for the day because she gets off the bus and comes into the house with a very shy attitude.  She doesn't want to say much and is hesitant to let me see her school folder.  The school folder contains a sheet from the teacher tracking a student's daily progress that parents have to initial each night.

The few times she's been shy when coming home I ask her how her day went and she usually spills it right away that she had a yellow.  My wife and I aren't upset by her and we usually have a talk that getting a yellow is not bad.  It just means that you need to remember to listen to the teacher.  We remind her that all students get yellow from time to time.  Although I want her to receive a green each day, it's a good learning experience for her to receive a yellow now and then.  Getting a yellow is an easy way for her to learn about "failure".  I hesitate to call a yellow a failure, since it really isn't, but it does allow her to react when something doesn't go as she planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment